Three Wise Teachers Part 4&5 #EDU223 #WiseTeacher

Hey All! Took a little break during my placement time, but now I'm back and here to talk about all of the amazing resources I got from the earlier stages of my Three Wise Teachers project.

     For my first resource I looked over the templates that were given to me by one of my #WiseTeachers I reached out to, Mr.Theriault from Edward Little HS. He first found this information from Jim Burke, who puts out a lot of education material for educators. According to Theriault he leans pretty heavily on the curriculum and instructional material Burke has out for use, and he isn't the only teacher I've talked with that has had the same sentiments. If you follow the next link you can find both pdf documents uploaded to a google drive folder, since the attachments are so large. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1q4b9jZW-eIuBZLoYeLh19Vf9QaCH_ddR
The first attachment in the folder is more literacy graphic organizers for people to use. I say literacy because I could see myself using them more in an English setting rather than a Social Studies setting. The graphic organizers focus on character development, reading questions and literature circles.
     The second attachment that you can find in the link above, is filled with instruction material and how to plan lessons. It ranges from teaching your students how to take structured notes to a test making tool and decision making cards. It also has discussion cards and reading strategies sprinkled in with so many other great tools. Theriault referred me to this pdf file because of how great it explains how to use some of the tools. It really can help ease the stress new teachers face, when it comes to having to plan all of our lessons on our own. I definitely plan to use these to assist myself when creating tests and having my students take notes.

     My second batch of resources I received was from Mr.Dudley also a teacher at my alma mater- Edward Little HS. His resources focused solely on English curriculum so pay attention English folks, his sources are great! The first one he mentioned was the Chop Board podcast. It helps the listener to understand what is going on in Shakespeare's plays. So for those that didn't pay super close attention to Shakespeare's writing or those who did and still don't really understand it is super duper helpful!! Another source he left me was the Inkwell. This site is for writing instruction, he uses it for his teaching at Central Maine Community College, but the information could be adapted for use in high school education as well. There is so much available on the site it is hard to sum it up because there is so much information and it really depends on what you are looking for. Florida State University did a tremendous job putting the site together so if you want to check it out here's the link: https://wr.english.fsu.edu/College-Composition/The-Inkwell

     My third group of resources is more twitter based. These came from Mr.Gray, who you guessed it- also taught at Edward Little HS. Now these companies have fabulous websites but their twitter accounts are suer responsive. If you need a resource and @ them with your request 9 times outta 10 they will tweet you back with a possible resource for you to use. These companies are super responsive to the needs of teachers and do anything they possibly can for supporting us! The following companies have endless materials and it really depends on what you're looking for from them as to what they can provide you with; Buck Institute for Education (@BIEpbl), DBQ Project (DBQProject) and last but not least SHEG (SHEG_Stanford). They have instructional material, curriculum planning tools and will even help you teach your students to think like historians which is great for the social studies crew. This will be extremely helpful in finding information when designing my lesson plans.

     That's really it for sources I was sent, however I am also including sources I had the privilege of learning about in the MEA conference I attended two weeks ago and the ACTEM conference we attended as a group.

     At the ACTEM conference I attended a Microsoft session, where we talked about way more than just Microsoft applications. My favorite by far was SeeingAI. It is an app you can download on your phone that allows you to scan your environment and it will verbally tell you what is going on around you. You can take pictures of words to have it read aloud to you. This next feature is one of my personal favorites, it's where you can take a picture of someone's face and it will describe them- even giving an approximate age. I included this app so more people would know about it as a resource if they had a student who is visually impaired and had trouble seeing the environment around them or sometime even reading the material you provide them with. It might be better for the student to have it read than struggle with reading it themselves even if it was in a bigger font.

     As for a resource from the MEA conference I attended, I would like to share about Nearpod which I learned about from a Middle/High school teacher, Becca Redman. Nearpod is a site where you can sign up and have a platform to create electronic lesson plans. It allows you to upload pdfs, jpegs, imbed links and so many more things to make your online lesson planning really interactive for your students. It also has already made lessons by other educators available for you to look at and download. You can look for content specific lesson plans that you would be able to use. Some of them you do have to pay for, however most of the ones you do pay for are extremely cheap, 1.99 and up. Go check it out! https://nearpod.com

I hope all of this information was super helpful! Have fun planning your lessons and don't be afraid to try new things or reach out to the companies for help navigating their sites!! Catch you later!

Comments

  1. Haley, thank you for sharing these resources. I have already found that they can be extremely helpful for my own lesson plans in the future. Thank you for sharing the google drive. I feel like some of these tools can help with engagement and helping students stay motivated and involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you would have added links to the microsoft applications. That would have been cool to see as well.

      Delete
  2. You have some really great resources related to social studies and ELA that many educator could benefit from. I know that I was gifted and use many of the sources you were given and they are totally awesome. I learned that I can tweet both the DBQ Project, SHEG, and BIE for educational related responses and supports. Twitter is such a great tool that all educators should be using to better themselves. I would like to know how you might engage your students in your content with the new tools and technology you learned both at the NEA conference and ACTEM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great resources to use. I love how you announced which subject area the resources specifically targeted. Your resource that talks about helping students writing structured notes, sounds the most useful because it can be applied in all classroom settings. Good note taking has really increased my learning in education. I wonder if the resources that focus in English, can help students with lab reports and understanding word problems.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment